Saturday, March 2, 2013

Crafty Saturday: Oz, The Great and Powerful Tee

 
 
Well, I finally got around to my DIY tee for the movie premiere of Oz: The Great and Powerful!
So stoked!!
 
I was inspired by this tote off the Disney Store website:
 
I would rock that tote, btw.  But I think M would wonder why I needed yet another tote!
Our house is filled with them... with things inside them.
So, that's why, Matt.
So I can put MORE things inside! 
HA HA!
 
Anyway, I decided to make my own shirt after falling in love with the men's version they have at the Disney Store.
(I am not a huge fan of wearing men's t-shirts... But if it goes on clearance, I'll be snatching it up!)
 
I picked this tee up at Target for $5.60.
Woot!
 
Supplies Needed:
Tee
Fabric Paint (I used Tulip Soft - Glacier White Matte)
Sponge Brush
Freezer Paper
X-Acto Knife
Piece of Cardboard
Iron
 
 
I already had the freezer paper and paint from when we did our Hunger Games shirts last year, so this total project cost me only $5.60.
 
I do not have a photo step by step for you. 
FAIL!
I honestly didn't know how this one would turn out.
I was thinking it would be another big, fat
FAIL!
 
I'll give you a play by play:
(for more details and photos, check out How About Orange's tutorial)
 
First Step:
Wash/Dry Tee.
(I seem to never do this...)
 
Second Step:
While the tee is getting all ready, pick out your design.
You can either print it and trace or free hand it all.
 
Third Step:
Put the design on your freezer paper (glossy side down)
 
Fourth Step:
Cut out your design with your X-Acto.
 
Fifth Step:
Take a break. Grab a snack.  Brew a cup of coffee.
If you are anything like me, X-Acto knives are not your friend and you need a break to remind yourself you are better than such knife.
 
Fifth Step:
Line up your design onto your shirt with the freezer paper stencil you just created, glossy side down.
 
Sixth Step:
Once you like where your stencil is placed, iron that baby down!
 
Seventh Step:
Put the cardboard inside your tee and pull your tee as much as you can and tape/clip/whatever you can get your paws on, to keep it nice and tight.
 
Eighth Step:
SPONGE PAINT!!!!
 
Get your spongey friend ready and dip that baby in the fabric paint. 
(I usually use a plastic cup to hold my paint... Whatever is lying around my house)
And just dab all parts of the design you want painted.
You may need a few coats.
I recommend waiting at least two hours (or whatever is directed on your paint bottle) before applying another coat.
 
Ninth Step:
Wait for the shirt to dry COMPLETELY.
(great time to run some of those errands you've been postponing)
Peel off the freezer paper slowly.
 
Tenth Step:
Wash, inside out.
 
TA-DA!
You're done!
Wear it proud and show it off!
 
 


 
It's got some boo-boos but I'm still pretty pleased with how it came out :)
I'll probably throw a blazer over it and head out!
 
And in case you missed it, this is our Hunger Games tees. I'm wearing mine today, actually!
(My man was so scruffy then! :-P)




If you attempt this, send me photos!  I'd love to see all your creations!
<3
 

1 comment:

  1. You did such a great job with your shirt - stunning!

    -Kati

    ReplyDelete